Simon W. J. Hermann
There is no clear line between "designing" and technically implementing a project. There'll always be decisions made by developers that heavily impact user experience, since It's impossible to design every aspect of an application in advance in a design tool. This is where I specialise, fully comprehending both: user needs and technical possibilities. My dual background in Design and Technology allows me to talk eye-to-eye with teammates (and clients) who have their focus in either fields.
I'm a Design Generalist focusing on UX and UI with a passion for Web Development. Creating user-centred digital products, from scratch to prototype to mirror-polished. Building bridges between Designers and Developers. I have a degree in Design (German Diplom) and I've been building websites for over 10 years now.
My (incomplete) list of Skills and Tools
I can do everything here with supreme quality outputs and in a reasonable amount of time.
- User Experience Design (User Interviews, Usability Testing, Wireframing, Information Archtecture, ..)
- UI Design & Design Systems
- CSS (SCSS, PostCSS, BEM, Tailwind CSS)
- Web performance optimisations
I need to look up things from time to time, but results are still on a sophisticated level.
- Further Design Skills (Corporate & Logo, Layout, ..)
- Vue.js / Nuxt.js
- REST APIs, Axois
- Headless CMSs (Storyblok, Contentful, Strapi)
- Service Design
- Prototyping Tools (Proto.io, Justinmind, Origami, Marvel, Framer, ...)
- Web Accessibility (A11y)
- UX copywriting
- Adobe Creative Suite (Lr, Ps, Pr, Id, Ai, Xd, Ae), Serif Affinity
- VS Code
- (technical) SEO
- NPM, Webpack, Rollup, Parcel
- Greensock (GSAP)
- Various CSS Frameworks (Bootstrap, Foundation, Pure CSS)
I can do stuff here, but mostly I learn as I go.
- Svelte / Sapper
- Kirby CMS
- Test-Driven Development, JS (Unit-)Testing (Jest)
- Snowpack, Vite
- A/B Testing
- Pattern Lab, Storybook
Want to learn
- Derivative TouchDesigner
- CSS Houdini
I did this in the past, but did not really advance in recent years.
- 2D + 3D Animation (After Effects, Cinema 4D)
- Making Movies / Recording in Green Screen Studio
- Wordpress Custom Themes
›› Design Tools: Pen+Paper, Whimsical, Sketch ›› Tech Stack: Nuxt.js, TailwindCSS, Storyblok, Netlify ›› Editor: VSCode (with Sublime Keymap) ›› Presentation Tool: reveal.js
In my spare time I try to improve my skills in Woodworking (especially Spoon Carving), Cooking, Hiking, Cycling, Badminton, Skiing and Parenthood.